Monday, July 18, 2016

small summer projects 💛

Hello!
This summer was a little different than other summers, this time me and my husband decided to do some small DIY's in our apartment. 

                                    We started with the dinning table, this is a before picture. 
            We just gave the chairs a small change, the brown color on the chairs was getting a little old. After watching a few tutorial's on youtube of how to refurnish chairs, we went to Joanns to get the fabric we purchased 4 yards, but to do my chairs 2 1/2 was enough and my Mom made some pillow cases for my living room. I only payed $22.00 with a 20% coupon. We were lucky enough to borrow a staple gun and scissors from my father in law. 




The hardest thing to do was the corners of the cushions. You need more than two hands to stretch the fabric and fold the corners to staple. My husband Ruben helped me do it, and it came out pretty nice.

Our second project was the coffee table for the living room. This one was a little hard and complicated to do because the table that I bought had an ugly green paint on the top. I got the table from craigslist for $20.00.


We tried to sand down the table, which wasn't easy. 

It took a few days to find out what we can use to be able to paint the table at this point without having to sand down the paint. After few days of research and asking few people we find out that primer was our friend, so we got to home depot and bought some primer to start painting the table. The primer cost $8.00 from wall-mart.


I used an old clear bathroom curtain to protect the carpet from any paint and we started painting the table with the primer, the table needed two coats of primer before we could apply the color. 


We used a roller for a clean finish and a brush for the legs. each coat of primer has to be fully dry to apply the next coat, our coffee table used two coats of primer. 
Once the table was fully dry we applied the color to get the color I wanted. I used chalk paint in the color aged gray. The small can was $16.00.



The tutorials I saw didn't recommend the use of a roller with chalk paint, they recommended a brush or sponge. I have to say the sponge didn't work as I expected, so we ended up using the roller and it worked much better, the table had a more clear and even finish. 


The last step was to use a special wax to protect the chalk. 

Our last and final project was the Tv stand. I got it at a thrift store. This one cost $39.99. We used primer and the same chalk paint. I removed the drawer handles and spray painted them from a dingy brown to a nice silver that helped make it pop. 



I had so much fun painting and changing our living room. 


No comments :

Post a Comment